Woman about to take a picture with her phone using the Instagram app

Embracing #NoFilter: Why You Shouldn’t Be Afraid Of Getting Real On Social Media And In Real Life

As you scroll through your social feed, you see yet another picture of a glam mom sharing her favourite smoothie recipe, travel pictures or DIY kids costumes. Then, you stare down at your own breast milk stained shirt, and your mind instantly shifts to: What am I doing wrong?

The undeniable truth is we’re not getting it wrong, but we are letting the filter epidemic distort our perception in unhealthy ways.

Sure, it would be wonderful to be thought of as the she’s got her sh*t together mom, the role model, the #momgoals, but there’s something that’s even more valuable than that ― true, honest and real connection.

Even that picture perfect mom has her struggles. And we need to remember that striving for perfection is isolating, but being real isn’t.

What keeps us filtering

We’re afraid. Being open and vulnerable is terrifying because we’re worried that if we embrace our authentic selves, we might be rejected.  You don’t need to post a makeup-free selfie for the world to see but you can let your true self be seen starting with those you love most. Being vulnerable takes practice so it’s a good idea to start in a safe environment.

We’re not present. Creating true moments of connection is harder than pretending everything is fine. We all have a million things to do ― laundry, picking up the kids, pressures at work but instead of running through your to-do list, be here now. Focus on the person in front of you. Hear what they’re saying and respond from your heart and not your head.

The Importance of Being Real - Simply Be Mama

We want to fit in. We all remember the child in school that stood out like a sore thumb. Maybe they weren’t very popular or were gossiped about so we go through life afraid of being that child. We need to remember there’s power in being different. Fitting in is about changing ourselves to be accepted. What we truly desire is to belong for being who we are.

Being real will change your life more than a perfectly filtered Instagram post.  Tweet This!

How to stop filtering

We need to share our true selves. Unless we’re willing to open about about our life, thoughts and feelings our relationships will stagnant. With one friend of mine, our conversations would rarely go beyond pleasantries. That relationship didn’t last. Maybe sometimes we need to ask: How are you really doing? Asking questions you want to know the answers to opens the lines of communication. This sets the stage for true connection.

“If we really want to live a joyful, connected, and meaningful life, we must talk about things that get in the way.” ― Brené Brown

We need to talk about the tough stuff. Life is beautiful in so many ways, but there are tough days. To truly connect we can’t push aside the negative. We need to talk about the challenges so we can learn, grow and get back to the bright side of life. Maybe our desire to push everything aside that isn’t sunshine and roses is causing a rise in anxiety and depression along with a host of other issues.

I was terrified to share this personal experience but, I couldn’t believe the remarkable feedback I received after opening up. Sometimes, even by admitting to someone else we’re having a tough day is relief in and of itself. A true friend will care, want to help, and most of all will be there to listen. The best part ― knowing we aren’t alone on this life journey.

We need to support each other. Speaking up takes an enormous amount of courage so let’s support each other for being real, speaking our truth and truly embracing who we are. Let’s post and like the #realmommoments and #honestmotherhood tags both online and in the real world.

Start now by sharing with me what has helped you drop the filters and keep it real.

Previous Post Next Post

You Might Also Like

14 Comments

• Reply erica April 4, 2018 at 9:38 am

It’s unfortunate today that people are so afraid to be real, but I definitely understand the fear of rejection/judgement/failure! I’m about to post something on my blog that makes me extremely vulnerable…and it’s just sitting in my posts as a draft! I’m scared to put my real self out there…but thanks for giving me the courage to do it…I’ll use those hashtags too 😉

• Reply Simply Be Mama April 5, 2018 at 9:42 am

I was exactly the same way with a post I published a few weeks ago. It was so hard but I believe worth it. Let me know when you publish. I would love to read it!

• Reply Stephanie Brophy April 4, 2018 at 9:44 am

I feel like my favorite bloggers are the ones where they don’t hide the meltdowns or their messy lives. Way more relatable!

• Reply Simply Be Mama April 5, 2018 at 9:44 am

Yes, so true! I think we’re seeing more of that now which is just awesome.

• Reply Marie April 4, 2018 at 10:00 am

I agree whole heartedly with this! I am often torn when I’m taking pictures to post. As I struggle to get my kids to sit still it actually 😊 Life definitely isn’t a still life. It’s messy and sometimes those messy moments tell the best stories!

• Reply Simply Be Mama April 5, 2018 at 10:12 am

Yes! Hearing about the messy moments is so refreshing and not to mention much more interesting!

• Reply sarahcarleypaul April 4, 2018 at 10:14 am

Great post! I totally agree with you; we are a filtered age in every sense of the meaning. The older I get, however, the less likely I am to filter anything. Could it be age? Having had kids? Who knows. But I sure am glad that with my age has come the wisdom to not give a crap about sometimes showing off my messiness and real life. Sometimes being transparent is key!

• Reply Simply Be Mama April 5, 2018 at 10:16 am

Yes, Mama! You have it right. Transparency is key for real connection and real living! I’m with you. I’m filtering less now and I love it!

• Reply littlelifewithl April 4, 2018 at 11:38 am

This is so raw, and so sadly true

• Reply Simply Be Mama April 5, 2018 at 11:14 am

Thank you. I think we’re moving in the right direction though and seeing more of the real moments now than before.

• Reply Jessie April 4, 2018 at 11:54 am

Rejection is definitely a hard thing to go though. Everyone had gone though it. But we can’t say our lives are a mess just because we see a mom on social media who seems like she’s got her s*it together because that’s just as picture. We don’t truly know what goes on in her life. I loved this. Great read.

• Reply Simply Be Mama April 5, 2018 at 11:17 am

Thank you! I agree, we need to keep things in perspective.

• Reply littlewolflittlebear April 18, 2018 at 8:15 am

Yessss!!! Gosh I’d way prefer to post a crying no make up sleep deprived photo in crap lighting to articulate my motherhood sleep regression struggles over one photo that took forever to arrange, outfit and makeup haha just be real. It’s so much nicer to read others truth. Gravitating! Great post! Thanks for the reminder x

• Reply Simply Be Mama April 18, 2018 at 10:04 pm

I am so glad you liked it. It’s definitely so refreshing to see something real not to mention comforting knowing that we’re in this together and go through many of the same struggles!